For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Monday, May 25, 2009

Mystery Spice Monday: Vanilla Bean Pancakes

Ok, I realize at this point that it's practically Tuesday, but I couldn't give up and leave ya hangin'! Hubs woke up, informed me that I needed to do something ridiculously easy to make my computer recognize my media card... so here I am! Stylishly late! (or not...)

It really is worth it being late to the party sometimes. Because late comers get to have Vanilla Bean Pancakes for breakfast tomorrow!

If you remember long ago in my tour around my spice cabinet, that I have these marvelous vanilla beans that Hubs bought for me at Costco. He got them back in, oh I'm thinkin' October? And of course I failed to use them in any of my holiday baking. So in my cabinet they sat...until last night!

For some reason they just screamed pancakes to me. What can I say, I have a sinus infection and a craving for comfort foods.



I took the easy route and went with some Bisquick, you can use whatever kind of pancake mix you like or you can get all fancy with flours and shortenings and stuff. But in my opinion, why bother?



Two cups of Bisquick, 2 Tbsp of sugar, 2 tsp baking powder.



1 cup of milk, 2 eggs. Stir. It really can't get much easier than this.



Now if you don't have vanilla beans screaming at you to be used you could always just add some vanilla extract. It wouldn't be super special, but it'd still be good.

If you do have beans screaming to be used, then here's how. Take your bean...



Cut it lengthwise to split it in half. And the scrape the seeds out with the edge of your knife blade. Add the seeds to your pancake batter.



And oh heavenly stars... just looking at this makes my mouth water... just the batter!



Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter onto a hot griddle.



When you start to see bubbles it's time to flip!



The second side will only take a couple minutes, and then you're done! Pile them on a plate and cover with foil until they're all done.

And if you're like Hubs you'll smother them with butter and blueberry syrup.



If you're like me you'll use significantly less butter and maple syrup.



Hubs didn't notice the vanilla bean flavor, but I think it was due to his syrup choice. I thought it tasted magnificent!

Breakfast for dinner! Or for breakfast. :)

Vanilla Bean Pancakes
Adapted from the back of the Bisquick box

2 cups of Bisquick
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 vanilla bean

Combine Bisquick, sugar, baking powder. Add milk and eggs. Cut vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds with the edge of your knife. Add seeds to the batter. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto hot griddle. Cook until edges are dry and bubbles begin to form. Flip. Cook until golden.


If you have a Mystery Spice recipe, I apologize for the delay! Here's Mr. Linky. He's always stylish when late. :)

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have never used vanilla bean before, but it's one of those things that I've always wanted to work with. I can smell it from here!

Brooke said...

those sound great!! :) now i've just got to find a way to work those into my calories. :P

monica said...

Wow I love pancakes. And I always put vanilla in my pancake batter but neverhave used fresh vanilla. Very good thanks for sharing.

I willplay along again next Monday. Was out for this weekend and just getting caught back up!

Dee said...

those actually look really good! I like lots of butter and maple.

harcoutbreton@yahoo.com said...

these pancakes look delicious... wanna have one for next week's breakfast... thanks for sharing...

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin