For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Friday, May 29, 2009

Aloha Friday! Me & Amelia



From An Island Life:

In Hawaii, Aloha Friday is the day that we take it easy and look forward to the weekend. So I thought that on Fridays I would take it easy on posting, too. Therefore, I’ll ask a simple question for you to answer. Nothing that requires a lengthy response.


If you'd like to participate with your own question on your own blog, head on over to An Island Life to link up and join the fun!


I've seen lots of blogs/forums/what-have-you who ask the question, "If someone were to play you in a movie, who would it be?" I never really know how to answer that question. The closest I can usually come up with is Sandra Bullock because she's a brunette and she does klutzy very well.

Who I really think I tend to emulate most of time is Amelia. Not Amelia Earhart. She's way to brave and heroic. Oh no. I think of THIS Amelia!



That's right folks, Amelia Bedelia. For those of you who didn't grow up on her books, she's the not-so-clever maid who takes everything too literally and ends up getting herself into a lot of trouble. Her boss asks her to make a sponge cake? She uses actual sponges. Her boss asks her to dust the living room? She finds the makeup "dusting powder" and spreads it all over the place. Apparently my mom read me too many of her books as a child because obviously I've taken it to heart.

Case in point? Last night I was cleaning my broiler pan. I took it outside because I decided to use Easy-Off to get off the charred bits. And since I was out there I thought, "Oh yeah, Hubs said the grill needed to be cleaned! Wouldn't it be nice of me if I just went ahead and did it for him?" That sentence alone is probably enough to make my 2 male readers groan. Because apparently touching a man's grill is TABOO! I had just crossed over into Male Territory without even thinking about it. So I started taking the various grill pieces out of the grill and arranging them on our concrete patio thinking that I would spray on the Easy-Off, let it sit for a while, and then come back to scrub them up and rinse them off with the hose.

While the pieces were sitting out soaking in chemicals, Hubs wakes up. I'm all proud and excited, waiting for him to discover the nice thing that I'm doing for him.

He notices, does a double take, and says, "You did, what?!"

"I'm cleaning the grill for you, honey!"

"You're going to stain the patio! Not to mention the fact that you know nothing about my grill!"

"Oops... I'm sorry, I thought I was being helpful."

"Well, it's not helpful. The grill and the garage are mine. I'd appreciate it if you left them alone."

"Alright... ... I'm sorry."

"Hey, when does Sims 3 come out again? I'm thinking you need a new game or something (so that you will stop trying to be helpful and leave my stuff alone!)."

So yes, our patio is stained. And one of our dogs ate all the charred bits and threw up black stuff upstairs this morning.

No, Amy is not short for Amelia, but sometimes I'm thinking it should be. lol

My Aloha Friday question today (HA! You thought I forgot didn't you?!) is, Have you ever had an Amelia Bedelia moment? And if so, what was it??

16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I completely forgot about Amelia Bedelia!

And if someone was going to play me, based on similarities in looks, it would have to be Charlize Theron, of course. We're practically twins.

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

I love Amelia Badelia. I have the books for my daughter, but I don't think she quite gets it yet.

One moment? My life is full of them! My husband can probably go on about all my "moments".

Brooke said...

i'd have to think awhile...i can't remember any of those moments.

The Rambler said...

chuckling while remembering that book.

and then...

shaking my head...way too many Amelia moments to figure out which to put here. :)

Becca said...

This is hilarious...I haven't thought about Amelia Bedelia in forever. I can't think of any Amelia Bedelia moments off hand...

Rosie@ Home and Heartwork said...

That is very funny. I love Amelia Bedelia. I know I'm like her lots of times. I do things in a hurry is sometimes my problem and don't take the time to do it right! My husband is the opposite way. He always takes the time to do things right! (Drives me crazy sometimes :) )
My girls found some orphaned baby bunnies again and are raising them. Hopefully they'll live. (I should try and blog about them next week!)

And the shoes on your last post, how much cushion do they have?

Thought I'd pop over and say "hi" on your blog.

Rosie

Annie*s Granny said...

LOL, thanks for the laugh, Amy! I don't know if it qualifies as an Amelia Bedelia moment, I tend to think of it as a "senior moment", but I made paprika toast for breakfast the other day. Luckily, I noticed the lack of a cinnamon aroma before I could take a bite!

Who would play me? Hmmm. I'd like to say Angelina Jolie, but if I'm being truthful it would probably be Cloris Leachman.

sues2u2 said...

Love the comparisons. Too cute. I've put salt on strawberries once instead of sugar. Does that count? lol Now I only put brown sugar on them.

Amy said...

My daughters LOVED Amelia Bedelia when they were younger! They would just laugh and laugh at night when they read the books before bed time! Loved hearing them!

And yes, I have those moments too many times a day!

Now following you on Twitter, btw! Looking forward to it!

Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

I love Amelia Bedelia. I am sure I have had many of her moments, just can not think of anything today.

Unknown said...

I love Amelia Badelia. Can't think of any moments right now.

Valerie said...

Ok had no idea who she was. I guess the one of my Amelia Badelia moments would be when I painted all of the windows shut. My husband had said to open them so I did then I painted them. Took us forever to get the down.

Night Owl Mama said...

Amelia Bedelia moment unfortunately I'm not exactly sure who that is...sorry. BUT I imagine there isn't a day that goes by that I don't have moments like that. HOW about the day I ran around the house like a frantic lunatic yelling, "Where are my keys I'm running late." only to be told by my 8 yr old , "are those them on your wrist?" Dooop. They are on a coil and yes they were on my wrist.

The Savvy Mama said...

When I was pregnant I spaced it and put a bottle of Windex in the fridge! I was cleaning and must have been distracted!

Momma Chae said...

LOL I loved Amelia! Thank you for reminding me of her - now I have to go get my old books out for my daughter. :)
Me in a movie----- I guess Claire Danes. She does sarcastic and goofy and serious really well....

monica said...

I have never heard of Amelia before...she sounds funny. Great story and thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin