For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Monday, May 11, 2009

Mystery Spice Monday! Pan Seared Mahi-Mahi with Cajun Spiced Maple Glaze

I am not a fish fan. Never have been, never will be. Unfortunately I married someone who LOVES anything that comes out of the water. So on occasion I'll indulge him by touching fish, cooking it in my house, making my house smell super nasty, only to end up with something to eat which I pretty much would rather feed to the dog.

But I'm nice. Mostly. So I will do this once in a blue moon. To prove my love.

And then if he's feeling particularly nice after eating such fine fish, he'll go out and pick me up something from MickyD's.

I will say though, I actually did eat this fish. I didn't savor it. I didn't relish it, but I ATE it! That's really saying something!!!

Mahi-mahi is a VERY mild fish. It doesn't have much in the way of fishy smell and it really has no fishy flavor at all. And if you cook it right it absorbs whatever flavors you cook it in. So if you're like me and have a strong aversion to fish, this might just be the fish for you... if you must!

For a fish lover's opinion: Hubs said it was delicious and hopes I get up the nerve to make it again sometime soon.





Pan Seared Mahi-Mahi with Cajun Spiced Maple Glaze
Adapted from Recipezaar.com

2 mahi-mahi fillets
1/8 cup maple syrup
1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning (Mystery Spice!)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

- Mix all ingredients except the fish in a small bowl. Marinate the fish in this sauce for 15 minutes up to 3 hours.
- Spray skillet heavily with cooking spray, or use 2T of olive oil. Heat pan until your hand can be held over it for less than 2 seconds or until oil reaches smoke point.
- Add fish to the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side. You may add more of the syrup mixture if you like.
- Best served with rice.

If you would like to share your very own Mystery Spice recipe link up below!

5 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's so funny, as I'm a huge seafood lover, and my husband is not. But I know a lot of people who don't like fish who like mahi mahi.

Brooke said...

I'm like Kristina - my fish dishes are limited. Mostly I'll do a meatless dish with lots of veggies, then pop a piece of lemon pepper fish into the oven.

monica said...

That receipe sounds delicious! Think I might have to try that!

Shannon said...

I've never tried mahi mahi... I'm not a big seafood fan. I like fried popcorn shrimp... the smaller the better, LOL!

I've tried soft shell crab (it was ok)... scallops (blech!)... grilled salmon (blech, again!)

Wendy at Babies Gotta Have It said...

I'm totally going to try this! I would never have thought of mixing maple syrup and fish! But I loves me some maple syrup and I'm also not a fan of fishy fish! Looks wonderful!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin