For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Monday, May 18, 2009

Mystery Spice Monday! Tatter Tot Casserole

I know, not my usual pick for a Monday is it? Well since all of us have terrible colds this week I pretty much decided to cook as little as possible and take lots of naps instead. And one super easy meal which I had all the ingredients for was Tatter Tot Casserole. Hubs hates it. It reminds him of all the thrown together box dinners of his youth. Me? I kinda like it! It reminds me of all the thrown together box dinners of MY youth! Funny how perspective alters your taste buds.

In any case, Hubs refers to this meal as s#%@ on a shingle. Which I think is kinda funny because to me that phrase usually refers to biskets and gravy. But to him, anything with a cream of _________ soup base is s#$% on a shingle. I think he just likes to say s#$% in the context of food when it's towards something he doesn't like.

The good news is that because he doesn't like it this dish doesn't disappear as quickly as some of the others I make which means it can be used as leftovers for several days in a row if necessary for me and the girls. This my friends, is an EXCELLENT thing to make when we're all sick. Perfect in fact! Because it means I don't cook for 3 days. Hubs probably doesn't think so, but he's generally ok with eating doritos and top ramen for 3 days.

Notice, there is really no mystery spice here. Sorry about that. I'll have something better next week, I promise!



Tatter Tot Casserole
Adapted from The Duggar Family Website

1 lbs. ground turkey or beef, browned & drained
1 bag of frozen tatter tots
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can evaporated milk

Brown meat (or if you're like me you'll have stashes of this in your freezer already cooked), drain, and place in a 9x13 casserole dish. Place frozen tatter tots on top of the meat. In a bowl mix soups and milk. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper to the sauce. Pour the sauce over the tots and the meat covering thoroughly. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.


Have a Mystery Spice Recipe that you'd like to share? Link up!




Linked to:
Sunday Swap

8 comments:

Jessie said...

OMG, I made this for the first time a few months ago. It was kind of good! I find it funny that your DH won't eat it, but will eat ramen. In the hierarchy of food, ramen is the lowest of lows in my book. (Doesn't mean I don't like it every now and then, because I do, but it's definitely below tater tot casserole!)

Brooke said...

the only way i can get the hubs to eat "cream o" anything is add rotel!

Kristina P. said...

I have never had this before! It looks delicious.

Amy said...

Jessie- lol, I too find it hilarious that Hubs prefers top ramen to something like this. :P

Kristina - You should try it! It's super super easy. :)

Annie*s Granny said...

Hah! We love Tater Tot Casserole. Mine is a bit different from yours as it has 2# meat, 1 c. chopped onion, 2 cans mushroom soup (no chicken soup), 1 soup can low fat milk and 1 c. cheese all mixed together then topped with the tots. My daughter makes it and adds green beans to hers. I usually try to cook healthier, reduced fat meals, and this casserole is kind of like a guilty pleasure for me. It sure doesn't last three days around here, even with just two of us eating it!

Savvy-Motherhood said...

i used to make this all the time. i haven't in forever.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love tater tot casserole I haven't had it in ages.

Jenni said...

I am not a big fan of the cream of whatever soups, either!

Except Cream of Cheddar! Because MMMMMMMMMM. Cheese!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin