For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Monday, March 30, 2009

Mystery Spice Monday! #8: ApplePalooza Part 1

Ok, I realize that Apples cannot be a Mystery Spice, but I've decided to post 2 recipes both involving apples, that also involve spices as well.

Yup, that's right, I have too many apples on my hands and I'm using it as an excuse.

Don't worry, Ranch Chicken is coming up next week. You'll like it, I promise.

I think you'll also like this!

Carmel Apple Upside Down Cake!

I got the recipe from the Land O' Lakes website, but I tweeked it quite a bit.

First I combined 1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of cold butter with a fork until it was in little crumbs.

The recipe didn't call for any spices... how boring! So I just went ahead and added some in at my own discretion. I'd guess that I used about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.



Then I pressed the mixture into a well greased round cake pan. It doesn't have to be perfect. As it cooks all that sugar and butter will melt and cover everything.



Then in my mixer I started on the cake batter. I creamed together 1/3 cup of butter and 2/3 cup of packed brown sugar.



I added 1 egg.



And a splash (1 teaspoon) of vanilla extract.



Then I turned back to my cake pan. I sliced up 2 apples into very thin slices, and arranged them into the pan. I tried to make it fancy and pretty for you... :)





Then I added 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 cup of milk to the batter and mixed it until it looked like this.



I spooned the batter on top of the apples. Bye-bye apples!





Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.



Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Then place your serving dish on top of the cake pan.



Invert the pan and dish.



Remove the cake pan, and Voila! A beautiful cake!







Hubs and I decided that although this cake really is beautiful, the only truly yummy part is the top and outside edge. I'm not really sure why, but the cake itself turned out rather bland and somewhat dry. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I hadn't included the cinnamon and nutmeg that the recipe didn't call for!

As a result, I decided that this cake either needs to be served with ice cream or whipped cream. I didn't have any ice cream on hand, so I made up some whipped cream. I knew I had that cream in my fridge for a reason!

Amy's Simple Whipped Cream

Whip up 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream in a high speed mixer. You'll wanna crank it up to nearly as high as the mixer will go (7 or 8 speed on my mixer) for about 3-4 minutes until soft peaks form. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of packed brown sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Serve atop cakes, cookies or with fresh fruit.

Carmel Apple Upside-Down Cake

Topping Ingredients:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large apples, cored and thinly sliced

Cake Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl with a fork until it becomes a crumb-like mixture. Add in cinnamon and nutmeg. Press into the bottom of a well greased 9-inch round cake pan. Arrange sliced apples on top. Set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Combine 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup softened butter in a bowl. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. Add flour mixture alternately with milk until well mixed.

Spoon batter over apples, spread evenly. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; invert onto serving dish. Serve warm or cold with dollop of Amy's Simple Whipped Cream.


Do you have a Mystery Spice Recipe that you'd like to share? Link up to Mr. Linky below!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

WOAH! I can't believe you can bake like that with having twin toddlers in your house:) I am dieting, this was not the post for me to read. Let me go read another one! lol

BTW .. looking forward to that ranch chicken:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin