For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows grace and favor and glory - honor, splendor and heavenly bliss! No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

Psalms 84:11

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tiptoe... Through The Tulips..

Tuesday... was a GORGEOUS day here in the PNW. It was the kind of day that reminded me why I choose to live here rather than anywhere else. Sometimes, usually around the middle of January, I question that decision. I ask myself why oh why did I move back here??? But then days like Tuesday come along and remind me why there really is no better place than the Pacific Northwest.

The thing is, I totally take it for granted! I see these beautiful sights nearly every day, and after a while it becomes ho hum. I look out my window, see Mt. Hood, and instead of staring in awe at it's majestic beauty I note the snow levels and wonder if there will be drought this summer...

I'm such an idiot!

So as I mentioned yesterday, when it's sunny here we must take advantage of it while we can. Especially in the spring when we could be socked in with clouds and rain the very next day and the weather men are notoriously wrong.

I was scheduled to MeetUp with some ladies from my mom's group at the Tulip Festival, and was it ever the perfect day for it! I loaded up the girlies in the car, packed up some snacks and sunscreen and hit the road. The tulip fields are down in Woodburn, OR, which as it turns out is about an hour and 15 minutes from my house. I expected it would take is 45 minutes, so I was considerably late. When I drove up to the gates for the festival I realized... crap... there's a LOT of people here! I completely didn't expect to see that many people on a Tuesday morning, but here they were, in full force, as if it was a Saturday. I guess everyone got the memo that it would be GORGEOUS and they should totally skip work for it.

When I get into situations like that alone with the girls I get a little... oh what's the word... itchy. I start having a little mental conversation with myself, "Amy, it will be OK! Really! Yes, there are lots of people here and you are going solo with twin toddlers. But you have a stroller, you don't have to let them out of it, and you can all still enjoy the pretty flowers." Yikes! I was a bit of a wreck. But once I talked myself into the idea that I really COULD do it, I got out of the car, got out the stroller, smeared the girls with sunscreen, and we were off!

And boy was it worth it!!!



Ziva was a little "itchy" too at that point. She REALLY wanted to get out and run around after the long car ride. I really wanted to let her do just that. But with so many people around it just didn't seem super safe. As long as I kept the stroller moving they were pretty happy, but every time I stopped they wanted to get out. Needless to say I didn't stay for long.



Oh yeah, the other thing that kept them happy? Getting within reach of the flowers. They very much wanted to touch... er... destroy... them.









While I was there I ordered tulips and dafodils for my garden next year. The bulbs will arrive at my doorstep this fall! I'm already excited about it! If you'd like to order some tulips from the same farm, Check This Out! Pictured below is what they call the Field Mix. It's what I ordered, and I can't wait to see these blooms in my yard next spring!









They had many MANY varieties though! I'm sure they'd have exactly what you want if you're looking for something specific.





They even had a great view of my highly taken for granted friend, Mt. Hood.



Hello friend. :)

I've missed you so. All winter long you've been hiding behind those clouds, only coming out for short visits.

I'm so looking forward to seeing your beautiful face more often this summer.





And yes, I took these through my windshield while driving. Don't call the cops on me please. I just couldn't resist! Just LOOK at her! All white and gorgeous!!

Mt. Hood + Columbia River = Masterpiece of Nature!



And yes, for those of you PNW natives, I realize that Mt. Hood is actually a he, and that Mt. St. Helens is a she. I too was taught Native American lore in grade school. :)


This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday over at The Diaper Diaries. Because living here is certainly a thing I love!

11 comments:

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

those tulips are stunning, what wonderful photos!

Brooke said...

gorgeous!!! :)

Kristina P. said...

How beautiful! We have a tulip festival around here. I will have to try to go.

Zion said...

Wow. How beautiful. You are very lucky!

Stacy said...

Gorgeous scenery! Glad you had a good time.

Taylor said...

Just stunning! I am taking my daughter to the tulip festival this year and now I am even more excited! Great shots.

Peggy said...

Beautiful pictures!! I wish I had a green thumb. SIGH MY husband and I stink at gardening.

Cynthia said...

Beautiful photos and wasn't it wonderful to see the sun this week. We very much enjoyed it too. I bet your girls loved all the colors those tulips have!

Angie @ Many Little Blessings said...

Wow! That's just amazing! I love all of your pictures.

Kellie Asaro - Mother Of Twins said...

The bright colors of the tulips are amazing...what perfect spring photos! And, the twins look pretty cute too :-)

Kelly said...

Those are gorgeous pictures and kids

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin